Saturday, May 06, 2006

precious cargo

Having just dropped half a G on a new carseat for Daniel, I'm still blinking a little like a bunny in the headlights.

I'd wandered into the store yesterday thinking I'd be spending a modest two hundred bucks on something more suitable than the idiotic capsule arrangement the boy has been in since birth. Not in in, mind. I do let him out from time to time, usually when he needs to drive home because I'm too drunk, which is a lot of the time, so actually, he's only in the capsule arrangement when I'm driving. Yeah.

Having cleared that little bit of confusion, the capsule. So they're safe and they save babies' lives and yadda yadda yadda, so they're probably not idiotic at all, but still. Ick. More recently, getting Daniel in and out of the dang fool thing has been an exercise in wriggler wrangling. Granted, I'm probably the idiot who hadn't worked out how to adjust the straps appropriately, but having to ask Daniel to hold his breath and suck in his tummy so I could strap him in was getting old. Also, dude doesn't respond to directions well.

There were two hundred dollar jobbies in the store yesterday, and they all conformed to the Australian Standard, which is the toughest in the world apparently, and then there was the Meridian. It sounds quite festive and it also looks very schmick. I went for the khaki and beige number - which looks surprisingly shitty in that link. It doesn't go with my car's grey interior, but pish. Its Ubercool In Real Life good looks shat all over the black and grey seat (which looked surprisingly shitty in real life). This puppy conforms to the same standard (remember: toughest in world, etc) as the others- and then surpasses them, which gives you your high five, right there, buddy.

So while I'm still in shock, I'm still happy to fork out the less than two bucks extra a week (the equation is, the extra three hundred bucks for the seat / the probably three years we'll be using it = woo!) it is to have my baby's dimpled butt sitting in what is, if the Standard is any indication, possibly one of the safest car seats in the world.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...fuck I'm boring.




2005-2007© aibee